BJP criticises Sukhbir Badal over grant to school
Jalandhar: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Friday drew flak from SAD ally BJP for allegedly giving a grant of Rs 1 crore to a school in Himachal Pradesh out of Punjab Nirman Funds.
"The minister has announced to provide the grant from his discretionary quota which is inappropriate. It is good to help in the development of the school from where he had studied but he should have done it from his self earning," BJP leader Laxmi Kanta Chawla said.
Chawla said that the minister should roll back his decision and use that amount for the development of any backward village or schools in Punjab following which he would also gain wide appreciation.
Former Congress MLA Sukhpal Singh Khaira yesterday alleged that Badal had given the grant to the school in Himachal Pradesh while ignoring the 18,397 government schools in Punjab which were in a "pitiable" condition.
However, SAD secretary and spokesman Daljit Singh Cheema had defended the allegation by saying that the sanction is not given from Punjab Nirman fund.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Market tries to recover from Brexit blow, Sensex up 122 points
- Volkswagen agrees to $14.7 billion payout in US emissions probe
- Surprising! Kumar Sangakkara picks Rahul Dravid over Sachin Tendulkar in his All-Time XI
- Travel diaries: Bipasha Basu, hubby Karan Singh Grover are now holidaying in Barcelona
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin files petition in Bihar court, claims threat to his life from state govt