BJP criticises Sukhbir Badal over grant to school
Jalandhar: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Friday drew flak from SAD ally BJP for allegedly giving a grant of Rs 1 crore to a school in Himachal Pradesh out of Punjab Nirman Funds.
"The minister has announced to provide the grant from his discretionary quota which is inappropriate. It is good to help in the development of the school from where he had studied but he should have done it from his self earning," BJP leader Laxmi Kanta Chawla said.
Chawla said that the minister should roll back his decision and use that amount for the development of any backward village or schools in Punjab following which he would also gain wide appreciation.
Former Congress MLA Sukhpal Singh Khaira yesterday alleged that Badal had given the grant to the school in Himachal Pradesh while ignoring the 18,397 government schools in Punjab which were in a "pitiable" condition.
However, SAD secretary and spokesman Daljit Singh Cheema had defended the allegation by saying that the sanction is not given from Punjab Nirman fund.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred