BJP criticises Sukhbir Badal over grant to school
Jalandhar: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Friday drew flak from SAD ally BJP for allegedly giving a grant of Rs 1 crore to a school in Himachal Pradesh out of Punjab Nirman Funds.
"The minister has announced to provide the grant from his discretionary quota which is inappropriate. It is good to help in the development of the school from where he had studied but he should have done it from his self earning," BJP leader Laxmi Kanta Chawla said.
Chawla said that the minister should roll back his decision and use that amount for the development of any backward village or schools in Punjab following which he would also gain wide appreciation.
Former Congress MLA Sukhpal Singh Khaira yesterday alleged that Badal had given the grant to the school in Himachal Pradesh while ignoring the 18,397 government schools in Punjab which were in a "pitiable" condition.
However, SAD secretary and spokesman Daljit Singh Cheema had defended the allegation by saying that the sanction is not given from Punjab Nirman fund.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai