BJP MLA cremated with full state honour
Hoshiarpur: Chief Parliamentary Secretary in SAD-BJP led Punjab government and two-time BJP MLA from Dasuya constituency MLA Amarjit Singh Sahi, who passed away in Sunday after a cardiac arrest at Chandigarh, was cremated with full state honour at his native town Dasuya on Monday.
His son Harsimrat Singh lit the funeral pyre. A police contingent reversed their arms and fired in the air to give last salute to Amarjit Singh Sahi.
His body was brought to the cremation ground at Dasuya in a procession from his residence.
Prominent among those present in the funeral included Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, Technical Education minister Anil Joshi, Rajya Sabha MP Avinash Rai Khanna, Punjab BJP chief Ashwani Sharma.
Paying floral tributes to Sahi, Badal said that with his death the SAD-BJP would face an irreparable loss and that he was a balanced, hardworking and honest politician who worked for the downtrodden of Kandi area.
Shopkeepers of Dasuya town kept their shops closed today as a mark of respect to the departed soul.
Sahi was 55 and is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Jallikattu protests LIVE: Kamal Haasan urges agitators to stay calm, says `none can take away your rights`
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS