BJP MLA cremated with full state honour
Hoshiarpur: Chief Parliamentary Secretary in SAD-BJP led Punjab government and two-time BJP MLA from Dasuya constituency MLA Amarjit Singh Sahi, who passed away in Sunday after a cardiac arrest at Chandigarh, was cremated with full state honour at his native town Dasuya on Monday.
His son Harsimrat Singh lit the funeral pyre. A police contingent reversed their arms and fired in the air to give last salute to Amarjit Singh Sahi.
His body was brought to the cremation ground at Dasuya in a procession from his residence.
Prominent among those present in the funeral included Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, Technical Education minister Anil Joshi, Rajya Sabha MP Avinash Rai Khanna, Punjab BJP chief Ashwani Sharma.
Paying floral tributes to Sahi, Badal said that with his death the SAD-BJP would face an irreparable loss and that he was a balanced, hardworking and honest politician who worked for the downtrodden of Kandi area.
Shopkeepers of Dasuya town kept their shops closed today as a mark of respect to the departed soul.
Sahi was 55 and is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt