BJP MLA endorses Rahul Gandhi’s `drug’ remark
Chandigarh: In what might bring in major embarrassment for the ruling SAD-BJP alliance in Punjab, Bharatiya Janata Party MLA Navjot Kaur Siddhu has endorsed Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi`s comment that seven out of 10 youth in Punjab are drug addicts.
CNN-IBN quoted BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu`s wife as saying, "In Punjab 60 to 70 percent youth are drug addict. I have proof of this. I am not saying this, World Health Organisation report is saying this”.
Interestingly, the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) and the opposition Congress in Punjab have been trading charges over Rahul Gandhi`s controversial remark.
While addressing a youth rally at Panjab University campus, Rahul had said, "Seven out of 10 youths in Punjab have the problem of drugs".
Reacting to Rahul Gandhi`s comment, Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal had said that the Congress leader was far removed from ground realities. He termed the Congress general secretary`s comment as a political statement.
On Twitter, one tweet asked Rahul Gandhi to "shut up and do something about it" (drugs). Another one said: "Rahul Gandhi was on drugs when he addressed Punjab youth".
The rampant problem of drug abuse among the youth in Punjab has been acknowledged in studies conducted by state universities and NGOs. Political and religious leaders are also aware of it and have been highlighting it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!