BJP MLA endorses Rahul Gandhi’s `drug’ remark
Chandigarh: In what might bring in major embarrassment for the ruling SAD-BJP alliance in Punjab, Bharatiya Janata Party MLA Navjot Kaur Siddhu has endorsed Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi`s comment that seven out of 10 youth in Punjab are drug addicts.
CNN-IBN quoted BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu`s wife as saying, "In Punjab 60 to 70 percent youth are drug addict. I have proof of this. I am not saying this, World Health Organisation report is saying this”.
Interestingly, the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) and the opposition Congress in Punjab have been trading charges over Rahul Gandhi`s controversial remark.
While addressing a youth rally at Panjab University campus, Rahul had said, "Seven out of 10 youths in Punjab have the problem of drugs".
Reacting to Rahul Gandhi`s comment, Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal had said that the Congress leader was far removed from ground realities. He termed the Congress general secretary`s comment as a political statement.
On Twitter, one tweet asked Rahul Gandhi to "shut up and do something about it" (drugs). Another one said: "Rahul Gandhi was on drugs when he addressed Punjab youth".
The rampant problem of drug abuse among the youth in Punjab has been acknowledged in studies conducted by state universities and NGOs. Political and religious leaders are also aware of it and have been highlighting it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest