BJP MLA endorses Rahul Gandhi’s `drug’ remark
Chandigarh: In what might bring in major embarrassment for the ruling SAD-BJP alliance in Punjab, Bharatiya Janata Party MLA Navjot Kaur Siddhu has endorsed Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi`s comment that seven out of 10 youth in Punjab are drug addicts.
CNN-IBN quoted BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu`s wife as saying, "In Punjab 60 to 70 percent youth are drug addict. I have proof of this. I am not saying this, World Health Organisation report is saying this”.
Interestingly, the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) and the opposition Congress in Punjab have been trading charges over Rahul Gandhi`s controversial remark.
While addressing a youth rally at Panjab University campus, Rahul had said, "Seven out of 10 youths in Punjab have the problem of drugs".
Reacting to Rahul Gandhi`s comment, Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal had said that the Congress leader was far removed from ground realities. He termed the Congress general secretary`s comment as a political statement.
On Twitter, one tweet asked Rahul Gandhi to "shut up and do something about it" (drugs). Another one said: "Rahul Gandhi was on drugs when he addressed Punjab youth".
The rampant problem of drug abuse among the youth in Punjab has been acknowledged in studies conducted by state universities and NGOs. Political and religious leaders are also aware of it and have been highlighting it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state