BJP steers clear of Balwant Singh Rajoana row
Chandigarh: The BJP on Sunday steered clear of
the controversy surrounding death row convict Balwant Singh
Rajoana saying the matter was sub-judice even as the Patiala
Central Jail returned his death warrant for the second time in
less than a week.
"It is for the courts to decide and nobody has a right to
to interfere," Punjab BJP chief Ashwani Sharma told reporters
He was responding to a question on what would be his
party`s stand if its ally Shiromani Akali Dal decides to take
steps to save Rajoana, a convict in former Chief Minister
Beant Singh`s assassination, from gallows.
"The BJP`s stand on terrorism is very clear. We oppose
it in any form. Moreover, this issue is for the courts to see
and the law will take its course," he said.
The ruling SAD in Punjab is also treading cautiously
on the matter with its patriarch and Chief Minister Parkash
Singh Badal saying all possible legal steps would be initiated
pertaining to Rajoana`s case.
"My government has been taking advice from legal
experts. All possible legal steps will be initiated pertaining
to Rajoana`s case," he had said.
The Sikh clergy has also directed him and SGPC head
Avtar Singh Makkar to make efforts to avert the hanging of the
Patiala Jail Superintendent Lakhwinder Singh Jakhar had
returned the warrant for execution of Rojana, a Babbar Khalsa
terrorist, last evening.
In a missive to Additional Sessions Judge Shalini Singh
Nagpal (Chandigarh), he said there were legal infirmities in
the procedure followed and that the state of Punjab had no
territorial jurisdiction in the matter.
Earlier this week also, the Patiala Jail Superintendent
had returned the warrant of execution.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part II
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part III
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's mini Pakistan comment-Part IV
- Sushmita Sen is Farah Khan's 'best heroine'!
- IIT Guwahati student found hanging at hostel room
- Hyundai Motors cars fitted with defective air bags?
- Jayalalithaa seeks PM's intervention for release of 34 fishermen held by Lanka
- Indian Premier League, Match 27: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Royal Challengers Bangalore — As it happened...