BJP wants memorial for innocents killed in Punjab terrorism
Chandigarh: While the controversy lingers on over construction of a memorial for those killed inside the Golden Temple complex in the 1984 Operation Bluestar, the BJP on Friday demanded a memorial for the innocent people killed in terrorism in Punjab in the 1980s and 1990s.
The Bharatiya Janata Party`s (BJP) Punjab unit president, Ashwani Sharma, demanded a memorial on the lines of Jallianwala Bagh (in Amritsar) in the memory of innocent people killed during the Pakistan-sponsored terrorism era in the state.
The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC), earlier this year, accepted the demand of radical Sikh organisations for setting up a memorial for those killed inside the Golden Temple, the holiest of Sikh shrines, during Operation Bluestar in June 1984.
The construction of the memorial has already started inside the complex.
The raising of the Bluestar memorial is being criticised on the grounds that it will give a ground to radical and separatist elements to honour those extremists who were flushed out of the Golden Temple by the Army during the operation.
Sharma said that the memorial for innocents killed in Punjab terrorism will help future generations remember why peace is important for the state.
He said that many prominent and common people were killed by terrorists during the terrorism years 1981-1992.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note