BJP wants memorial for innocents killed in Punjab terrorism
Chandigarh: While the controversy lingers on over construction of a memorial for those killed inside the Golden Temple complex in the 1984 Operation Bluestar, the BJP on Friday demanded a memorial for the innocent people killed in terrorism in Punjab in the 1980s and 1990s.
The Bharatiya Janata Party`s (BJP) Punjab unit president, Ashwani Sharma, demanded a memorial on the lines of Jallianwala Bagh (in Amritsar) in the memory of innocent people killed during the Pakistan-sponsored terrorism era in the state.
The Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC), earlier this year, accepted the demand of radical Sikh organisations for setting up a memorial for those killed inside the Golden Temple, the holiest of Sikh shrines, during Operation Bluestar in June 1984.
The construction of the memorial has already started inside the complex.
The raising of the Bluestar memorial is being criticised on the grounds that it will give a ground to radical and separatist elements to honour those extremists who were flushed out of the Golden Temple by the Army during the operation.
Sharma said that the memorial for innocents killed in Punjab terrorism will help future generations remember why peace is important for the state.
He said that many prominent and common people were killed by terrorists during the terrorism years 1981-1992.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'