BKI’s Hawara assaulted in court premises
Chandigarh: Five activists allegedly belonging to a right-wing Hindu outfit on Friday assaulted Jagtar Singh Hawara, convicted for assassinating former Punjab chief
minister Beant Singh, in the district court premises here, police said.
Both Hawara and another terrorist Paramjt Singh Bheora were brought here from Tihar Jail for their production in the Burail jail break case.
"After the hearing, as Hawara was moving in the court complex five persons allegedly belonging to Rashtriya Hindu Seva Suraksha Samiti slapped him following which the terrorist also retaliated," ACP Deshraj Singh said here.
"Immediately, police intervened and arrested five persons, including convenor of the organisation Nishant Sharma," he said.
Before assaulting Hawara, the Hindu right wing activists raised slogans.
Both Hawara and Bheora were brought to jail under tight security. Both the terrorists are lodged in Tihar Jail in connection with the New Delhi blasts case of 2004.
Hawara, Bheora and their accomplice Jagtar Singh Tara along with another murder convict Devi Singh had made a sensational escape from Burail Jail in January 2004 by digging a 104-foot long tunnel.
While Hawara and Bheora were arrested, Tara and Devi Singh are absconding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Apple buys health startup founded by Indian-origin duo
- SHOCKING! This film director wants to 'spit' on PV Sindhu's achievement in Rio Olympics
- Prakash Javadekar commits a blooper, says Jawaharlal Nehru, Sardar Patel, Subhas Chandra Bose were hanged
- Absconding rape accused AISA leader Anmol Ratan to apply for anticipatory bail
- Silly to have advertised my Chevalier award: Kamal Haasan