BKI’s Hawara assaulted in court premises
Chandigarh: Five activists allegedly belonging to a right-wing Hindu outfit on Friday assaulted Jagtar Singh Hawara, convicted for assassinating former Punjab chief
minister Beant Singh, in the district court premises here, police said.
Both Hawara and another terrorist Paramjt Singh Bheora were brought here from Tihar Jail for their production in the Burail jail break case.
"After the hearing, as Hawara was moving in the court complex five persons allegedly belonging to Rashtriya Hindu Seva Suraksha Samiti slapped him following which the terrorist also retaliated," ACP Deshraj Singh said here.
"Immediately, police intervened and arrested five persons, including convenor of the organisation Nishant Sharma," he said.
Before assaulting Hawara, the Hindu right wing activists raised slogans.
Both Hawara and Bheora were brought to jail under tight security. Both the terrorists are lodged in Tihar Jail in connection with the New Delhi blasts case of 2004.
Hawara, Bheora and their accomplice Jagtar Singh Tara along with another murder convict Devi Singh had made a sensational escape from Burail Jail in January 2004 by digging a 104-foot long tunnel.
While Hawara and Bheora were arrested, Tara and Devi Singh are absconding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees