BKU holds protest rally against diesel price hike
Chandigarh: Farmers under the banner of Bhartiya Kisan Union (Rajewal) Tuesday held a protest rally here demanding a drought relief package for Punjab farmers and hike in diesel prices by the Centre.
A delegation led by president Balbir Singh Rajewal submitted a memorandum to Punjab Governor Shivraj V Patil, seeking a drought relief package and rollback of fuel price hike from the Centre.
They warned if the UPA government did not accept their demands, they will not allow Congress MPs to enter villages and would also hold demonstration outside their houses.
"Despite writing to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and meeting Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar for giving relief to farmers, nothing was done by the Centre, forcing us to hold protest rally," Rajewal claimed.
"We have demanded a relief package of Rs 5,540 crore for Punjab farmers as they had to spend extra money during June and July for saving their crops because of drought-like conditions. Farmers had to bear the burden of Rs 5,000 crore alone on paddy crop," he said here.
The recent hike in diesel prices by over Rs 5 per litre would put more financial burden on them, he said while also expressing concern in case the MSP on wheat is not raised.
"How oil marketing companies can pay dividend when they had been facing losses due to selling their products at lesser rates?" Rajewal asked.
Meanwhile, protest rally held by a large number of farmers coming from all over Punjab caused traffic jam in Chandigarh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'