BKU warns of launching agitation on Sep 20
Chandigarh: A faction of the Bhartiya Kisan Union on Tuesday threatened to launch an agitation here on September 20 to mount pressure on Punjab government to accept its demands for a financial package to farmers and release of productivity bonus.
Annuncing this here, BKU (Rajewal) President Balbir Singh Rajewal said, "Farmers will assemble here on September 20 in a big way to know the outcome of the state overnment appointed panel to look into their demands."
Rajewal faction of the Union has been demanding release of Rs 800 crore package announced by the Centre for farmers in view of drought last year and productivity bonus on electricity bills announced by Sukhbir-Kalia Committee and withdrawal of urban development fund on crops.
Agitation on September 20 would be in continuation of BKU`s protest launched on August 10 in Mohali, BKU (Rajewal) President Balbir Singh Rajewal said in a release.
The 3-day BKU stir on August 10 had been suspended after the state government agreed to constitute a committee to look into the farmers` demands.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Anti-Donald Trump protests break out for second day in California
- UN council discusses move to enforce North Korea sanctions
- Norway helicopter crash: All 13 people on board dead, 11 bodies recovered
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers