BKU warns of launching agitation on Sep 20
Chandigarh: A faction of the Bhartiya Kisan Union on Tuesday threatened to launch an agitation here on September 20 to mount pressure on Punjab government to accept its demands for a financial package to farmers and release of productivity bonus.
Annuncing this here, BKU (Rajewal) President Balbir Singh Rajewal said, "Farmers will assemble here on September 20 in a big way to know the outcome of the state overnment appointed panel to look into their demands."
Rajewal faction of the Union has been demanding release of Rs 800 crore package announced by the Centre for farmers in view of drought last year and productivity bonus on electricity bills announced by Sukhbir-Kalia Committee and withdrawal of urban development fund on crops.
Agitation on September 20 would be in continuation of BKU`s protest launched on August 10 in Mohali, BKU (Rajewal) President Balbir Singh Rajewal said in a release.
The 3-day BKU stir on August 10 had been suspended after the state government agreed to constitute a committee to look into the farmers` demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Parliament deadlock: BJP says blame Sonia if Monsoon Session washed out, calls Congress 'confused'