Blue Star memorial `anti-national`: BJP
New Delhi: The BJP, which is part of the ruling alliance in Punjab, on Thursday, opposed the construction of Operation Blue Star memorial in Amritsar by radical sikhs, terming it "anti-national" and asked people to move forward and not be distracted.
While senior BJP leader Balbir Punj termed the move as "anti-national", party spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said the people of Punjab should not be distracted by such things and should move forward instead.
Their reaction came a day after Shiromani Akali Dali chief and Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal distanced himself and the state government from the construction of the memorial.
"Let Punjab move forward and let`s not be distracted," Rudy said, adding that the Khalistan movement was supported by Pakistan to divide India`s Punjab.
"Khalistan was a Pakistani agenda to divide India vis-a- vis Punjab. Thanks to the valour of Punjab which fought the fundamentalists and extremists in the state. Let no one embolden Pakistan which has even lost the proxy war.
"People of Punjab have rejected the Congress and chosen the path of development instead," Rudy said.
The 28th anniversary of Operation Bluestar, launched to flush out militants from Sikh holy shrine the Golden Temple in 1984, was yesterday observed at the Akal Takht, the highest temporal seat, an event from which Punjab`s ruling Shiromani Akali Dal kept away.
To mark the occasion, bricks for a controversial memorial for those who were killed in the operation by security forces were laid by the five Sikh head priests along with Jatehedar Akal Takht Gyani Gurbachan Singh and SGPC President Avtar Singh Makkar.
Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal after initially supporting the Memorial on Wednesday distanced himself and the state government from construction of the memorial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016