Blue Star memorial will be a Sikh shrine only: Suk
Amritsar: Seeking to play down the controversy over setting up a memorial in the Golden Temple in the memory of those killed during Operation Blue Star, Punjab Deputy Chief Minister on Thursday said it would be a simple Gurdwara (sikh shrine) and nothing else.
"The Congress is blowing the matter (setting up of memorial) out of proportion otherwise nothing is controversial in it. It will be simply a Gurdwara and nothing else," he said here.
He said that it will be a Gurdwara wherein holy Guru Granth Sahib would be kept inside for recitation and people would come to pay obeisance.
He said that it would be wrong to say that a monument is being made as it will only be Gurdwara. "No name of anybody who was killed during the operation by the Army would be written on any wall of the Gurdwara," he said.
Lashing out at the Congress leadership, Sukhbir said if the party has any objection over the Gurdwara "it is in bad taste and the Sikh community would give befitted reply to the party."
On the demand of Sikh hardliners and radicals, Shiromani Gurudwara Parbhandhak Committee (SGPC) is constructing the memorial on the premises of the Golden Temple in the memory of militants and devotees killed during Army`s `Operation Blue Star` in 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital