Blue Star memorial will be a Sikh shrine only: Suk
Amritsar: Seeking to play down the controversy over setting up a memorial in the Golden Temple in the memory of those killed during Operation Blue Star, Punjab Deputy Chief Minister on Thursday said it would be a simple Gurdwara (sikh shrine) and nothing else.
"The Congress is blowing the matter (setting up of memorial) out of proportion otherwise nothing is controversial in it. It will be simply a Gurdwara and nothing else," he said here.
He said that it will be a Gurdwara wherein holy Guru Granth Sahib would be kept inside for recitation and people would come to pay obeisance.
He said that it would be wrong to say that a monument is being made as it will only be Gurdwara. "No name of anybody who was killed during the operation by the Army would be written on any wall of the Gurdwara," he said.
Lashing out at the Congress leadership, Sukhbir said if the party has any objection over the Gurdwara "it is in bad taste and the Sikh community would give befitted reply to the party."
On the demand of Sikh hardliners and radicals, Shiromani Gurudwara Parbhandhak Committee (SGPC) is constructing the memorial on the premises of the Golden Temple in the memory of militants and devotees killed during Army`s `Operation Blue Star` in 1984.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan