British lawmaker to seek clemency for Bullar
Amritsar: A British lawmaker on Monday lent his
support to Davinderpal Singh Bhullar, a death row convict in
the 1993 Delhi blast, saying he would take up the issue of
clemency to him with international jurist and rights panels.
Liberal Democratic Party Member of Parliament for
Bermondsey and Old Southwark Simon Hughes said on his return
to UK within a week he would take up the issue of clemency to
Bhullar with Geneva based International Commission of Jurists
and the UNO`s Human Rights Commission.
The clemency petition of Bhullar, sentenced to death for
his role in 1993 bomb blast in Delhi targeting the cavalcade
of then Youth Congress President Maninderjit Singh Bitta in
which nine security personnel were killed, has been rejected
by the President.
Simon, who is also Deputy Leader of Liberal Democrat
Parliamentary Party in the House of Commons in London, said
death sentence was not a solution for any crime.
In many cases in India, people underwent life
imprisonment and then it came to light that they were
innocent, he said adding that death penalty shouldn`t be
awarded to Bhullar as the matter could again be discussed or
Simon said though he had sympathy with victims of the
blast for which Bhullar was awarded death sentence, he would
like the Indian Government to reconsider its decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org