British lawmaker to seek clemency for Bullar
Amritsar: A British lawmaker on Monday lent his
support to Davinderpal Singh Bhullar, a death row convict in
the 1993 Delhi blast, saying he would take up the issue of
clemency to him with international jurist and rights panels.
Liberal Democratic Party Member of Parliament for
Bermondsey and Old Southwark Simon Hughes said on his return
to UK within a week he would take up the issue of clemency to
Bhullar with Geneva based International Commission of Jurists
and the UNO`s Human Rights Commission.
The clemency petition of Bhullar, sentenced to death for
his role in 1993 bomb blast in Delhi targeting the cavalcade
of then Youth Congress President Maninderjit Singh Bitta in
which nine security personnel were killed, has been rejected
by the President.
Simon, who is also Deputy Leader of Liberal Democrat
Parliamentary Party in the House of Commons in London, said
death sentence was not a solution for any crime.
In many cases in India, people underwent life
imprisonment and then it came to light that they were
innocent, he said adding that death penalty shouldn`t be
awarded to Bhullar as the matter could again be discussed or
Simon said though he had sympathy with victims of the
blast for which Bhullar was awarded death sentence, he would
like the Indian Government to reconsider its decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested