BSF seizes 31 kg heroin in Punjab
Gurdaspur: In a major recovery along the border with Pakistan, the Border Security Force (BSF) on Saturday recovered 31 kg of heroin here in Punjab, officials said here.
The heroin stock, said to be worth over Rs 31 crore in the international market, was found by the intelligence wing of the BSF near Channa post in Gurdaspur, 275 km from Chandigarh.
The consignment was hidden along the bed of Ravi river that flows along the border between India and Pakistan. The BSF launched a search in the area following a tip that a drug consignment was being delivered.
"No arrests have been made. The consignment seemed to have been abandoned by people from across the border," a BSF official said.
The 553-km barbed wire fenced border between both countries is used by smugglers. Most of the heroin and other drugs come from Afghanistan through Pakistan.
Punjab has emerged as a major transit and destination point for the drugs trade. Drug addition is prevalent among youth and people in rural areas of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS