Burundi student Yannick Nihangaza airlifted to home country
Patiala: Burundi national Yannick Nihangaza was on Monday flown out of India in an air ambulance to his country in Africa more than two years after the computer science student went into a coma following an attack on him in Jalandhar.
Nihangaza, who was admitted at a private hospital here for more than two years, was airlifted by a team of doctors of `Saras Rescue` to his home country via Amritsar and Al Ain in UAE early today at 6.30 am.
The young man was airlifted to his country after the Punjab government agreed to bear the Rs 75 lakh cost for the same, an official spokesman said.
Punjab minister Surjit Singh Rakhra and Deputy commissioner Varun Roozam were present at the airport for Nihangaza`s departure. The air ambulance will take him to Brumic Medical and Research Centre in Burundi.
Nihangaza`s father Nestor Ntibateganya thanked Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and SPS Oberoi, the managing trustee of Sarbat Da Bhala Charitable trust, an NGO, for facilitating their return to Burundi.
Nihangaza has remained on life support (ventilator) system ever since the assault on him by some youths in Jalandhar where he was pursuing a bachelor`s degree in computer science at Lovely Professional University.
He was headed to a party on April 22, 2012, when he was attacked by a group of nine students. Seven of the nine attackers, who were also students, have been sentenced to 10 years` in jail; the remaining two reportedly fled to Australia.
Nihangaza`s father had written to Badal on June 20, 2012, regarding the condition of his son whereupon Nihangaza was shifted to Patiala from Jalandhar.
As the case sparked outrage in Punjab and was in some circles construed as having racial overtones, the state government promised to bear all expenses of the treatment and also agreed to airlift Nihangaza.
The members of Sarbat Da Bhala Trust have also handed USD 1,000 to Nestor.
Dr Parvez Aslam of Saras Rescue told PTI that, "Our team of aero-medically trained professionals follows strict medical transport procedures and protocol, with the patient`s well- being as our primary consideration."
Meanwhile, the Colombia Asia hospital here has handed over the bill for Nihangaza`s treatment to SDM Gurpal Singh Chahal.
But the chief of medical services at the hospital, (Brig.) Dr V Bhatnagar, refused to give details of the bill. Hospital sources said that a bill of Rs 3.5 crore has been submitted with the authorities for the treatment of Nihangaza for over two years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh