Campaigning for Punjab bypolls ends
Chandigarh: Campaigning for Patiala and Talwandi Sabo Assembly seats in Punjab, going to bypolls on August 21, on Tuesday ended, an official said.
While a total of eight contestants are in fray for Patiala seat, Talwandi Sabo seat is being contested by seven candidates, he said.
In Patiala, a triangular contest is evident among former union minister and wife of Congress leader Amarinder Singh Preneet Kaur, Bhagwan Das (SAD) and Harjeet Singh of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
Preneet Kaur had lost the recent Lok Sabha polls to AAP`s Dharamvira Gandhi.
Talwandi Sabo too is witnessing a triangular contest among Congress candidate Harminder Singh Jassi, SAD`s Jeet Mohinder Singh Sidhu and AAP`s Bajinder Kaur.
At Talwandi Sabo, Balkar Singh is in fray as an Independent candidate. Initially, he was declared as an AAP candidate but later was dropped and replaced by Baljinder Kaur (29).
While the total electors in Talwandi Sabo is 1,44,316, the number of electorates in Patiala is 1,51,461.
The bypolls were necessitated after Patiala`s sitting MLA Amarinder Singh (Cong) got elected to Lok Sabha from Amritsar while in Talwandi Sabo, sitting Congress MLA Jeet Mohinder Singh Sidhu deserted the party to join ruling SAD.
In the 117-member Punjab Assembly, the strength of ruling SAD is 56, its ally BJP 12, Congress has 44 members while there are three independents.
To gain simple majority, SAD requires two more members so that its tally in the Assembly reaches 58.
The counting will take place on August 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues