Candlelight vigil to demand Sarabjit`s release
Amritsar: Disappointed by the recent mix-up over his release, Sarabjit Singh`s relatives along with city residents took out a candlelight march here demanding freedom for the death row prisoner rotting behind the bars in Pakistan for over twenty years.
During the procession taken out last night, Sarabjit’s daughter Swapandeep Kaur appealed to Pakistan government to set free her father lodged in a solitary cell at Kotlakhpatrai jail for the last 22 years.
Candle march was carried out to seek help from Indian and Pakistan governments for the safe repatriation of Singh to his home town in India.
Participants in the procession were holding burning candles to spread the message of securing Singh`s release.
The entire family along with the inhabitants of Bikhiwind (Sarabjit`s village) humbly prey before the governments of both India and Pakistan to do the needful for the safe repatriation of my father," said Swapandeep struggling hard to hold back her tears.
Sarabjit’s wife Sukhpreet said what a disappointment it had been for the entire family when the news of his imminent release turned out to be wrong.
On March 9, 2006, a two-member Supreme Court bench of Pakistan had dismissed Singh`s petition against the sentence for his alleged involvement in carrying out four bomb blasts at Lahore in 1990 that killed 14 people.
Sarabjeet, lodged in Kotlakhpat jail, was set to be hanged on April 1, 2008 but the authorities put this off after Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani sought to examine the issue.
Sarabjit Singh is called Manjit Singh in Pakistan and was arrested by Pakistan`s army in 1990. Sarabjit was accused as an Indian spy and was charged with plotting a series of bomb blasts in 1989 at Lahore and Multan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid