Cash-at-judge`s door: Nirmal Yaadav moves SC
New Delhi: Former judge of Punjab and Haryana
High Court Nirmal Yadav has approached the Supreme Court seeking quashing of proceedings against her in the 2008
cash-at-judge`s door case.
She has sought quashing of the charge sheet filed by CBI
against against her on the ground that Chief Justice S H
Kapadia has no power to recommend sanction to prosecute her as
it was denied by the previous CJI K G Balakrishnan.
She moved the apex court challenging the Punjab and
Haryana High Court`s order dismissing her plea contesting
grant of sanction for her prosecution in the case.
The President had granted prosecution sanction on March 1
The Punjab and Haryana High Court was rocked by the
controversy after a sum of Rs 15 lakh was delivered at the
residence of Justice Nirmaljit Kaur, another judge of the
High Court, on August 13, 2008, following which she reported
the matter to Chandigarh Police.
The money, allegedly meant for Yadav, was said to have
been delivered to Kaur due to confusion over their names.
The High Court had rejected Yadav`s plea on November 14
last year saying that she cannot claim any special right
merely because she had occupied the high constitutional
It had said that that there was no order by former CJI
Balakrishnan declining the prosecution sanction and records
confirmed that Justice Kapadia had examined the question of
sanction against her for the first time.
The charge sheet was filed against her by the CBI in the
Special Court on March 4 last year, a day after Yadav, then
posted as Judge of the Uttrakhand High Court, retired.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth