CBI arrests Punjab minister`s aide in graft case
Chandigarh: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Tuesday arrested Bhag Singh, an aide of Punjab Cabinet minister Swarna Ram, in a Rs 1.5 crore graft case over a land deal.
"We had called him (Bhag Singh) for questioning. His role in this case has come to our notice and he was arrested by the investigating team," CBI Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Mahesh Aggarwal said here.
The CBI on Monday questioned the state`s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) ministers Manoranjan Kalia (industries and local bodies) and Swarna Ram (social welfare and justice) in connection with the case.
Bhag Singh is Ram`s personal secretary.
Ram was questioned for nearly two hours by the CBI officials for his role in the controversy over a land deal near Zirakpur, on the outskirts of Chandigarh, belonging to a mechanics association in Punjab.
Chief Parliamentary Secretary (CPS) and BJP legislator Raj Khurana, who submitted his resignation on Sunday, was earlier arrested by the CBI along with an ex-government official Devinder Singh Bittu.
The CBI had raided Khurana`s official residence in Sector 39 here on Wednesday and recovered Rs 15 lakh in cash, cheques running into millions of rupees and an expensive Porsche car (valued at over Rs 1 crore) from there.
The CBI probe is related to the alleged bribe Khurana and Bittu sought over the land deal case. The money, they allegedly said, was meant for the two ministers.
Ram had written a note to Kalia April 7, 2011 to look into the land deal case, about which he was questioned by the CBI.
"My PS (personal secretary) Bhag Singh had told me to issue that note and I did the same, asking the concerned ministry to look into the matter. He also told me to write to the chief minister regarding the case. But I did not do so as I was not aware about it," Ram told reporters after the CBI questioning on Monday.
Minister Kalia, who was also questioned for nearly one hour by the CBI on Monday, said: "I want to make it clear that the CBI has not named me in the FIR (first information report) and they have only called me for simple questioning. Therefore, I see no reason to resign. I am innocent and have full belief that truth will come out in public."
Nearly 200 BJP supporters had gathered outside the CBI office here, shouting slogans, while the questioning was going on.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo