CBI summons two Punjab BJP ministers in graft case
Chandigarh: Two BJP ministers of Punjab
have been summoned by the CBI in connection with the graft
case in which party colleague and Chief Parliamentary
Secretary (CPS), Finance, Raj Khurana has been arrested and
are likely to appear before the agency on Monday.
Technical Education Minister Swarna Ram has told the
CBI that he will appear tomorrow after he was served the
notice. The Local Bodies and Industries Minister Manoranjan
Kalia said that he was "ready to cooperate in the
investigation" and would "contact the officers of the CBI" to
fix the time of his appearance.
The two ministers in Shiromani Akali Dal-BJP
government were issued notices by the agency to join
investigations into the Rs 1.50-crore graft case that led to
the arrest of Khurana and a government employee on Thursday.
CBI had arrested Khurana, a BJP MLA from Rajpura, and
Devinder Singh, an official of office of Registrar, Firms &
Societies, Punjab after registering a case under Prevention
of Corruption Act on the basis of a complaint received from
Secretary of Punjab Automobile Mechanic Association (PAMA)
Manpreet Singh alleging that Singh had demanded of bribe of Rs
1.5 crore for closing a complaint against the Association
without any action.
Chandigarh Police sources said today that elaborate
security arrangements will be made around the CBI office in
Sector 30 here in view of the expected appearance of the two
ministers before the agency officials.
The two arrests were made after a raid at the
residence of Khurana which resulted in recovery of Rs 15 lakh
in cash and Rs 1.35 crore through cheques from the car
belonging to Singh which was parked outside the official
residence of the CPS.
The agency had booked Khurana alleging that the bribe
money was to be handed over through him to Local Bodies and
Industries Minister Manoranjan Kalia for closing the complaint
against Manpreet Singh and other office bearers of the
The Special CBI Court here yesterday had extended the
CBI remand of Khurana and Devinder Singh after the CBI
contended that the two accused had to be confronted with Kalia
and Swarna Ram, whose names also cropped up during the
conversation between Devinder Singh and Khurana.
The CBI had last week submitted in the court three
recordings of the conversations made with a Digital Voice
Recorder (DVR) between the two arrested accused and the
Both the ministers have denied any relation with the
accused or the complainant or with the case and stated that
they were ready to join the investigations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH