Centre announces support to farmers
Chandigarh: The Centre decided to reschedule loans of farmers of Punjab and Haryana besides providing them financial assistance to deal with losses due to deficient rain.
"I have already instructed NABARD to prepare a rescheduling programme on crop loan for those farmers who have taken money in states that were affected because of insufficient rain and that include Punjab and Haryana", Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar told reporters.
He noted that monsoon in Punjab and Haryana is deficient by 68 per cent and 71 per cent, respectively.
Pawar, who was flanked by Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh, also assured financial support to the two state governments to meet expenditure due to higher power requirements for the farm sector.
"We have to take decision (regarding support to farmers and Punjab and Haryana governments).. We just have to take input from Rajasthan. Our desire is not delay the decision beyond 7 days," Pawar said after visiting the affected areas of the two states.
Apart from this, the Centre also decided to announce more funds for drinking water, under NREGA scheme and Integrated Watershed Scheme for both states.
Meanwhile, Punjab and Haryana governments today demanded a central package of Rs 5,112 crore and Rs 4,050 crore respectively to deal with the drought like situation in the two states.
Pawar said despite huge deficiency of rain in the both states, the sowing of kharif crops has not suffered much due to laudable work of farmers and efforts of the two state governments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city