Following a statement made by Harbhagwan Singh, senior
counsel representing the Union of India, that the Centre had
decided to withdraw the notification, the High Court had said:
"In view of the statement by senior advocate Harbhagwan Singh,
the reference made to the full Bench is rendered infructuous
and is disposed of as such."
Home Minister Chidambaram, however, told Parliament today
that there is no proposal to rescind or withdraw the
Following his statement, Ramesh Suman, Director Internal
Security, Ministry of Home Affairs has shot off a letter to
Anmol Rattan Sidhu, Additional Solicitor General of India, for
askinng him to take necessary remedial actions immediately.
Sidhu said that they will be moving two applications in
the High Court for recalling of the order and one for
constitution of another full bench as the earlier full bench
had already disposed of the petitions.
Chandigarh: The Centre will move the Punjab
and Haryana High Court on Monday seeking recall of the High Court order yesterday on a plea challenging the 2003 notification barring Sehajdharis or non-baptized Sikhs from
voting in SGPC elections, a senior law officer said Friday.
First Published: Friday, September 02, 2011, 22:43