Chandigarh best city in quality sanitation
Chandigarh: The union territory of Chandigarh has been adjudged the best Indian city in terms of quality sanitation followed by Mysore, Surat and New Delhi, officials said here Tuesday.
This city topped the national rating and award scheme for sanitation for Indian cities. The survey was conducted by the central ministry of urban development.
"Chandigarh scored a maximum 73.48 points and was adjudged best in the area of quality sanitation in the country. It was followed by Mysore, Surat and New Delhi in this national survey," a Chandigarh administration spokesperson said.
As per guidelines specified in the National Urban Sanitation Policy, a totally sanitised city is one that is free of open defecation. It must eliminate the practice of manual scavenging and provide adequate equipment that addresses the safety of sanitation workers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends