Chandigarh gang-rape: Police remand of five accused extended
Chandigarh: The police custody of five policemen allegedly involved in the gang-rape of a minor girl was on Monday extended till December 25 by a local court.
After the expiry of their three days police custody, the accused were today produced before Magistrate Anil Kaushik who extended their remand for another two days.
The prosecution sought four days custody from the court on a plea that police had to recover vehicles and identify locations where the crime was committed by the cops.
However, the court gave the police remand for another two days.
Victim`s counsel Brajeshwar Singh Jaswal told media outside the courtroom that one of the accused Akshay during police interrogation had confessed that he had relations with the victim.
He also objected to "Chandigarh police decision to upload the FIR online".
"This has revealed the identity of the victim and high profile people have started visiting her residence...This is disturbing for the family of the girl...Even she is not been able to join investigations due to stigma and police are summoning her at police station," he said.
Yesterday, the National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC) had slammed yoga guru Ramdev for visiting the residence of the victim in the periphery of the city claiming that it had breached the sensitivity of the matter.
"Ramdev should not have gone to the gang-rape victim`s residence in her village keeping in view the sensitivity of the case," NCSC vice Chairman Raj Kumar Verka had said.
Police had already set up a five-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the case.
Five constables of Chandigarh Police-- Jagtar, Akshay, Himmat, Sunil and Anil are in police remand after their arrest following a complaint of a 17-year-old girl, who alleged that she had been raped and molested by five constables for one-and-a-half month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick