Chandigarh hit and run: police yet to trace other girl
Chandigarh: Even 36 hours after a teenaged girl crushed a youth and a child under her Honda Accord car here, police remain clueless about the other girl in the killer vehicle.
Amanat Brar, 19, had mowed down Sukhwinder Singh, 21, and his cousin Harpreet Singh - who would have been five next week - after a high-speed car race Tuesday night.
Amanat surrendered to police on Wednesday evening and got bail just after two hours.
The police said another girl was on the front seat of Amanat`s car when the accident took place.
"Amanat was driving. We do not think anyone else was directly involved in the accident. The witness has claimed that another girl was in the car. We are working to trace her," Jagbir Singh, the deputy superintendent of police (central), told a news agency on Thursday.
However, medical experts said the delay in the arrest would undermine traces of liquor or intoxicants in her blood.
Besides, the Chandigarh Police have failed to arrest two youths and other members of Amanat`s family who helped her escape arrest by destroying evidence and misleading the police.
The fact that her family members have submitted a photocopy of her driving license, instead of the original one, has also raised questions.
The accident happened in the high-security upscale area of Chandigarh. The car belonged to Amanat`s grandfather, retired Lt Col GS Brar.
Amanat, who is studying in the US and had come here to attend her cousin`s wedding, was booked for rash and negligent driving (Section 279) and for causing death by a negligent act (Indian Penal Code Section 304-A).
The dead Sukhwinder and Harpreet were residents of Kansal village near here and were returning from a hospital after taking medicines for the former`s ailing mother.
Sukhwinder was pursuing an engineering course at Kharar town, about 20 km from here, while Harpreet was a school student.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill