Chandigarh hit and run: police yet to trace other girl
Chandigarh: Even 36 hours after a teenaged girl crushed a youth and a child under her Honda Accord car here, police remain clueless about the other girl in the killer vehicle.
Amanat Brar, 19, had mowed down Sukhwinder Singh, 21, and his cousin Harpreet Singh - who would have been five next week - after a high-speed car race Tuesday night.
Amanat surrendered to police on Wednesday evening and got bail just after two hours.
The police said another girl was on the front seat of Amanat`s car when the accident took place.
"Amanat was driving. We do not think anyone else was directly involved in the accident. The witness has claimed that another girl was in the car. We are working to trace her," Jagbir Singh, the deputy superintendent of police (central), told a news agency on Thursday.
However, medical experts said the delay in the arrest would undermine traces of liquor or intoxicants in her blood.
Besides, the Chandigarh Police have failed to arrest two youths and other members of Amanat`s family who helped her escape arrest by destroying evidence and misleading the police.
The fact that her family members have submitted a photocopy of her driving license, instead of the original one, has also raised questions.
The accident happened in the high-security upscale area of Chandigarh. The car belonged to Amanat`s grandfather, retired Lt Col GS Brar.
Amanat, who is studying in the US and had come here to attend her cousin`s wedding, was booked for rash and negligent driving (Section 279) and for causing death by a negligent act (Indian Penal Code Section 304-A).
The dead Sukhwinder and Harpreet were residents of Kansal village near here and were returning from a hospital after taking medicines for the former`s ailing mother.
Sukhwinder was pursuing an engineering course at Kharar town, about 20 km from here, while Harpreet was a school student.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand