Chandigarh hit by major power outage for hours
Chandigarh: A major technical snag hit the power supply in Chandigarh, resulting in a complete blackout in most areas of the city beautiful for long hours on Wednesday night.
Sectors 10, 11, 15, 25, 32 to 40 and 43 to 56 of the city faced about seven hours of power cut from around 6.30 pm onwards.
The affected sectors get their power supply from the 66-KV grid station in Mohali, about 10 km from here.
"The disruption was caused by a technical problem at the Mohali grid station which is now being repaired," said M P Singh, superintendent engineer of the Chandigarh electricity department.
Residents of Chandigarh, the capital of Punjab and Haryana, complained that officials failed to give them any information on the outage.
"The officials were not able to inform us as to when the (power) supply would be restored. We had to come outside our houses. Even street lights were not working," J N Sharma, president of the New Light housing society in Sector 51, said.
The supply was restored in some sectors at around 12.30 am. However, the problem of low voltage persisted in many areas till 9 am.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Check out the posters of Sunny Leone’s ‘Beiimaan Love’
- Central team to visit Kashmir to look into infiltration today
- Akshay Kumar looks dapper in the brand new poster of ‘Rustom’
- BJP has reduced foreign policy to ''event management exercise'': JD(U)
- 'Sultan' Salman Khan behind Steven Spielberg's 'The BFG' release delay?