Chandigarh hit by major power outage for hours
Chandigarh: A major technical snag hit the power supply in Chandigarh, resulting in a complete blackout in most areas of the city beautiful for long hours on Wednesday night.
Sectors 10, 11, 15, 25, 32 to 40 and 43 to 56 of the city faced about seven hours of power cut from around 6.30 pm onwards.
The affected sectors get their power supply from the 66-KV grid station in Mohali, about 10 km from here.
"The disruption was caused by a technical problem at the Mohali grid station which is now being repaired," said M P Singh, superintendent engineer of the Chandigarh electricity department.
Residents of Chandigarh, the capital of Punjab and Haryana, complained that officials failed to give them any information on the outage.
"The officials were not able to inform us as to when the (power) supply would be restored. We had to come outside our houses. Even street lights were not working," J N Sharma, president of the New Light housing society in Sector 51, said.
The supply was restored in some sectors at around 12.30 am. However, the problem of low voltage persisted in many areas till 9 am.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday