Chandigarh on radar of terrorists: Police
Chandigarh: Pointing out that Chandigarh has been on the radar of terrorists, the administration of the union territory has decided to induct more commandos in the Quick Reaction Team (QRT) constituted in the wake of the Mumbai terror attack of 2008.
The Chandigarh Administration has decided to not only
increase the strength of the QRT from 45 to 100 commandos,
trained on the pattern of the National Security Guards (NSG),
but also arm them with latest sophisticated weapons to stop
hi-tech terrorists from having the better of them in a given
S S Srivastava, SSP, Chandigarh Police, said here today
that the city has been on the "radar of terrorists".
"Recently, disturbing reports have come in hinting at the
presence of some suspected terrorists in the neighbouring
states. This made us take the decision to increase the
strength of QRT commandos and equip them better," he said.
Giving out details of the equipment and firearms being
provided to the commandos, Srivastava said they would be given
two bullet and grenade-proof vehicles costing Rs 50 lakh each.
The commandos will be armed with latest sophisticated
The commandos will also be provided special kits given to
NSG commandos at the time of operation.
"The QRT personnel are being trained in making dynamic
entry into a building, dealing with active shooting
situations, rescuing entrapped hostages and citizens in the
custody of armed people, coping with cases of vehicle and bus
assaults and a variety of special threat and high risk
incidents besides bomb detection etc," Srivastava added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in