Chandigarh rolls out Direct Benefit Transfer scheme
Chandigarh: The Chandigarh Administration on Tuesday rolled out the ambitious Direct Benefit Transfer scheme of the Centre which would benefit 1,384 persons.
This roll out of Aadhaar-linked Direct Benefit Transfer (DBT) of funds, under schemes sponsored by the Central Government and UT Administration, would enhance efficiency and transparency; eliminate drags, pilferage and falsification etc.
"Chandigarh is one of the districts identified by Government of India where the Direct Benefit Transfer scheme is to be rolled out. In the first phase, direct cash subsidy will be transferred for eight schemes being run by Chandigarh Administration including six schemes of Govt of India and two of UT Administration` UT Advisor K K Sharma said launching the scheme," an official spokesman claimed.
He said that out of the 34 central sector/centrally sponsored schemes identified by the Centre, Chandigarh Administration had identified eight schemes of Director Higher Education and Director Public Instructions(s) (including two schemes of UT Administration).
These schemes include post-matric scholarship for SC students, post-matric scholarship for OBCs, post-matric scholarship for students with disabilities, post-matric scholarship scheme - Minority, Merit cum Means Scholarship Scheme, UT Merit Scholarship, UT Merit Scholarship& Pre-Matric Scholarship for SC Students.
He said that key aspects of roll out of DBT in Chandigarh are - 80 per cent population of Chandigarh that has been enrolled under Aadhaar and the Administration`s goals towards Financial Inclusion. "We are fortunate to have succeeded in overcoming various challenges otherwise inherent in each of these aspects of DBT," he added.
He also said that the Finance Department, Education
Department, Department of Information Technology have put in concerted efforts along with Punjab National Bank and the UIDAI`s regional office in Chandigarh to enable the roll out of Direct Benefit Transfer in Chandigarh.
The Aadhaar enabled scheme will facilitate the pay out of direct cash subsidies to targeted beneficiaries and will enable the union government to plug leakages in social spending schemes.
He said that it is worth mentioning that in June this year, as one of the front-runner states/UTs in the country, Chandigarh Administration had issued the notification to accept Aadhaar as a valid Proof of Identity and Proof of Address.
Around 1,400 beneficiaries are being covered through this roll-out of direct transfer of cash subsidies amounting to Rs 46.35 lakh annually.
Sharma said that the Chandigarh Administration is working towards roll out of more schemes, in the next phase.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi