Chandigarh to get country`s first PDS smart cards
Chandigarh: Chandigarh will soon become the first city in the country to distribute smart card-based ration cards to below poverty line (BPL) families who benefit from the Public Distribution System (PDS).
HCL Infosystems, a hardware, services and ICT system integration company, has bagged the order to implement the project.
The smart cards will capture all biometric, tax, demographic and personal information details of people, enabling authorities to ensure proper distribution of food rations and other benefits.
Said HCL Infosystems president and chief operating officer J.V. Ramamurthy: "Technology today is changing the way local authorities across the globe reach out to their citizens.
"As Public Distribution System is vital for sustained living of the people living below the poverty line, this project is a step in the right direction to make the Public Distribution System more robust and effective by deploying path-breaking technology."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy