Chandigarh to get country`s first PDS smart cards
Chandigarh: Chandigarh will soon become the first city in the country to distribute smart card-based ration cards to below poverty line (BPL) families who benefit from the Public Distribution System (PDS).
HCL Infosystems, a hardware, services and ICT system integration company, has bagged the order to implement the project.
The smart cards will capture all biometric, tax, demographic and personal information details of people, enabling authorities to ensure proper distribution of food rations and other benefits.
Said HCL Infosystems president and chief operating officer J.V. Ramamurthy: "Technology today is changing the way local authorities across the globe reach out to their citizens.
"As Public Distribution System is vital for sustained living of the people living below the poverty line, this project is a step in the right direction to make the Public Distribution System more robust and effective by deploying path-breaking technology."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal