Child falls into uncovered hole, rescued in Chandigarh
Chandigarh: A two-and-half-year old boy fell into a 15-foot deep uncovered hole in an under-construction housing colony of Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) in sector 32 here on Tuesday, police said.
Naveen, son of a migrant labourer couple, was rescued by after a nearly three-hour long operation, Deputy Commissioner Mohammed Shayin said here.
The child was admitted to Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH), sector 32, where his condition was stated as stable.
The rescue team dug a parallel 5-feet wide hole and rescued the child, he said.
The housing colony is being constructed by Central Public Work Department and the contractor, Rakesh Aggarwal, was summoned on the spot, the official said.
A case of negligence in work was registered against the contractor at sector 34 police station.
Jagmohan, father of boy, said "I and my wife Hira Wati along with Naveen were on way back to our residence after completing work at the construction site, when the minor, who was walking behind us, accidentally fell into the hole."
The parents raised alarm and construction supervisor, Upinder Kumar, called up the police control room.
The rescue operation, however, could start only after the arrival of JCB machine and a water tanker, Upinder said.
Subsequently, a team of health department rushed to the spot and an oxygen cylinder through a pipe was installed inside the hole.
When efforts of local disaster management committee proved futile, an army unit from 23 Engineer Regiment, K Area, from Zirakpur was summoned, Shayin said.
A senior official with rescuing team said, "A parallel 5-feet wide hole was dig out by a JCB machine along side the small hole, in which boy was fallen, and from the newly dig hole, a small tunnel was dig for brining out the boy."
Naveen, has no visible injuries but he has been admitted to a Government medical college and hospital.
Shayin said action would be initiated against the contractor for leaving the pit uncovered.
Besides Army personnel and the police, a team of doctors from two government hospitals of Sector 16 and 32, an ambulance and fire fighters worked for rescue operations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog