Chlorine gas leak in Nangal sparks panic
Nangal (Punjab): Panic gripped Nangal area on Friday following alleged leakage of chlorine gas from Punjab Alkalies and Chemicals Limited plant here.
People in the localities near the plant including Jawahar Market, Kathehra, Kancherra and Barari complained of breathlessness and irritation in the eyes as the gas leak allegedly occurred at around 5:30 am.
Punjab Pollution Control Board executive engineer Joginder Singh said that leakage took place after the pipeline carrying chlorine got burst in the plant at the time of start of the process of the system.
The authorities immediately shut down the plant which prevented any major harm.
However, plant`s general manager JS Talwar said there was no bursting of pipeline in the plant.
He said that there was "no question of leakage of gas and only a water seal of the pipeline was broken due to frosting this morning".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi