Chlorine gas leak in Nangal sparks panic
Nangal (Punjab): Panic gripped Nangal area on Friday following alleged leakage of chlorine gas from Punjab Alkalies and Chemicals Limited plant here.
People in the localities near the plant including Jawahar Market, Kathehra, Kancherra and Barari complained of breathlessness and irritation in the eyes as the gas leak allegedly occurred at around 5:30 am.
Punjab Pollution Control Board executive engineer Joginder Singh said that leakage took place after the pipeline carrying chlorine got burst in the plant at the time of start of the process of the system.
The authorities immediately shut down the plant which prevented any major harm.
However, plant`s general manager JS Talwar said there was no bursting of pipeline in the plant.
He said that there was "no question of leakage of gas and only a water seal of the pipeline was broken due to frosting this morning".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Christians should ask gay community for forgiveness for past treatment: Pope Francis
- Can you SPOT Aamir Khan in this picture? SEE inside
- 7th Pay Commission: Non-performing govt employees to not get annual increment
- Tri-Nation series final: Mitchell Marsh, Josh Hazlewood guide Australia to 58-run win over West Indies
- History on line as Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer get Wimbledon under way