Chlorine gas leak in Nangal sparks panic
Nangal (Punjab): Panic gripped Nangal area on Friday following alleged leakage of chlorine gas from Punjab Alkalies and Chemicals Limited plant here.
People in the localities near the plant including Jawahar Market, Kathehra, Kancherra and Barari complained of breathlessness and irritation in the eyes as the gas leak allegedly occurred at around 5:30 am.
Punjab Pollution Control Board executive engineer Joginder Singh said that leakage took place after the pipeline carrying chlorine got burst in the plant at the time of start of the process of the system.
The authorities immediately shut down the plant which prevented any major harm.
However, plant`s general manager JS Talwar said there was no bursting of pipeline in the plant.
He said that there was "no question of leakage of gas and only a water seal of the pipeline was broken due to frosting this morning".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre