Cleric wants open debate on Sikh Marriage Act-2012
Amritsar: A high priest of Sikh`s temporal seat the Akal Takht on Tuesday asked the Sikh community in India and abroad to discuss and deliberate on the new draft of `Sikh Anand Marriage Act-2012’ meant to frame a separate law for marriages in the community.
Jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singh said a committee will be formed, comprising intellectuals and legal luminaries under the aegis Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee to take final decision regarding the draft to be taken up with the central government to frame law for the Sikh community.
He was addressing the Sikh intelligentsia during the presentation of the draft by its maker Daljit Singh, Principal of Khalsa College and a legal luminary.
The Jathedar said the draft needs more discussion and should be printed in bulk to be distributed to the masses and should also be put on the internet for Sikhs to view it worldwide.
Daljit Singh initiated a debate and there was a general opinion that that Sikhs must have their own separate personal law and agreed to adopt the draft the copy which was submitted to the Jathedar.
The participants also said the amendments being made in the Ananad Marriage Act of 1909, by the Centre were not sufficient and were not as per the aspirations of the Sikhs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!