Cleric wants open debate on Sikh Marriage Act-2012
Amritsar: A high priest of Sikh`s temporal seat the Akal Takht on Tuesday asked the Sikh community in India and abroad to discuss and deliberate on the new draft of `Sikh Anand Marriage Act-2012’ meant to frame a separate law for marriages in the community.
Jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singh said a committee will be formed, comprising intellectuals and legal luminaries under the aegis Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee to take final decision regarding the draft to be taken up with the central government to frame law for the Sikh community.
He was addressing the Sikh intelligentsia during the presentation of the draft by its maker Daljit Singh, Principal of Khalsa College and a legal luminary.
The Jathedar said the draft needs more discussion and should be printed in bulk to be distributed to the masses and should also be put on the internet for Sikhs to view it worldwide.
Daljit Singh initiated a debate and there was a general opinion that that Sikhs must have their own separate personal law and agreed to adopt the draft the copy which was submitted to the Jathedar.
The participants also said the amendments being made in the Ananad Marriage Act of 1909, by the Centre were not sufficient and were not as per the aspirations of the Sikhs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared