College lecturer detained for firing in air in Chandigarh
Chandigarh: A college lecturer was detained here for firing gun shots in the air and misbehaving with policemen, police said Friday.
Harnek Singh, 40, who works in a government college in Amritsar in Punjab, had come to his parents` house in Sector 34 on holiday.
"He took his dog out for a walk at around 10 p.m. (Thursday). A rashly driven car passed them, narrowly missing his dog," a police official said.
Harnek shouted at the occupants in the car, who handled him roughly.
The teacher then went back to the house, took out a revolver and fired in the air. The frightened attackers fled.
Harnek, who was in an inebriated condition, misbehaved with the policemen and refused to accompany them.
"We detained Harnek for questioning. We took him to a hospital for medical test. The weapon was seized," police officer Uday Pal said.
The lecturer`s family accused the police of trying to shield the accused and harassing them instead.
Nichattar Singh, father of Harnek, said, "My son fired in self defence. Instead of arresting the culprits, they took Harnek to the police station."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum