Complete Harpreet murder trial in 6 months: SC to Patiala
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today directed
the trial court in Patiala to complete in six months the trial
relating to the murder of Harpreet Kaur allegedly at the
instance of her own mother and former Shiromani Gurdwara
Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) chief Bibi Jagir Kaur who opposed
her marriage to a youth.
A bench of Justices Dalveer Bhandari and A K Patnaik
passed the direction after counsel Nidesh Gupta, appearing for
Kanwaljit Singh, husband of the deceased, alleged witnesses in
the case were being threatened and the trial was getting
delayed for the past eight years.
Harpreet Kaur died on the night of April 21, 2000, and
CBI alleged her body was cremated in a hurry. The Punjab and
Haryana High Court had, acting on a PIL, directed CBI to
investigate the mysterious death of Harpreet.
According to Kanwaljit, Harpreet was murdered at the
alleged instance of the former SGPC chief who was opposed to
CBI had arrested Paramjeet Singh, Sanjeev Kumar,
Harvinder Kumar, Ms Satya and Dalwinder Kaur in connection
with the case while Personal Security Officer to Jagir Kaur,
SI Nihal Singh, had surrendered before the investigating
However, Bibi Jagir Kaur was granted bail by Punjab and
Haryana High Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29