Complete Harpreet murder trial in 6 months: SC to Patiala
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today directed
the trial court in Patiala to complete in six months the trial
relating to the murder of Harpreet Kaur allegedly at the
instance of her own mother and former Shiromani Gurdwara
Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) chief Bibi Jagir Kaur who opposed
her marriage to a youth.
A bench of Justices Dalveer Bhandari and A K Patnaik
passed the direction after counsel Nidesh Gupta, appearing for
Kanwaljit Singh, husband of the deceased, alleged witnesses in
the case were being threatened and the trial was getting
delayed for the past eight years.
Harpreet Kaur died on the night of April 21, 2000, and
CBI alleged her body was cremated in a hurry. The Punjab and
Haryana High Court had, acting on a PIL, directed CBI to
investigate the mysterious death of Harpreet.
According to Kanwaljit, Harpreet was murdered at the
alleged instance of the former SGPC chief who was opposed to
CBI had arrested Paramjeet Singh, Sanjeev Kumar,
Harvinder Kumar, Ms Satya and Dalwinder Kaur in connection
with the case while Personal Security Officer to Jagir Kaur,
SI Nihal Singh, had surrendered before the investigating
However, Bibi Jagir Kaur was granted bail by Punjab and
Haryana High Court.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: From US-made bomb making tools to Quran; here's all unearthed from ISIS secret tunnels