Comprehensive master plan for jail reforms in Punjab
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Saturday directed the Jails department to prepare a comprehensive master plan for the overall development of prisons in the state, besides construction of new sub-jails both at divisional and district levels.
The decision was taken by the chief minister during a high-level meeting with the top brass of the Jail and Health departments officials here.
The master plan is to be implemented in next four years in a phased manner, an official spokesman said here.
Badal asked the Jail department to initiate measures to tone up the jail administration, in an effective manner, to avoid any untoward incident in the jails.
The veteran Akali leader said in order to meet new challenges, the jail administration requires immediate reforms in terms of jail security as well as ensuring basic requirements for jail inmates, like nutritious diet and proper health care facilities.
Badal approved Rs 1.72 crore for immediate maintenance of various jails across the state.
He also approved to utilise the annual lease money, which the jail department was getting from the Industries department against the chunk of its land in Ludhiana, for the development works in the jails.
To improve food quality in jails, Badal asked the department to review the diet norms system besides putting up a diet chart in jails.
He also approved to constitute a committee comprising IG (jails), representatives of Central jails and Sub-jails besides a dietician from Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER) Chandigarh, to recommended proper nutritious food for jail inmates.
The committee would submit its report in 15 days.
The chief minister directed the Home department to expedite the ongoing selection procedure for appointing 900 wardens by the end of February.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand