Comprehensive master plan for jail reforms in Punjab
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Saturday directed the Jails department to prepare a comprehensive master plan for the overall development of prisons in the state, besides construction of new sub-jails both at divisional and district levels.
The decision was taken by the chief minister during a high-level meeting with the top brass of the Jail and Health departments officials here.
The master plan is to be implemented in next four years in a phased manner, an official spokesman said here.
Badal asked the Jail department to initiate measures to tone up the jail administration, in an effective manner, to avoid any untoward incident in the jails.
The veteran Akali leader said in order to meet new challenges, the jail administration requires immediate reforms in terms of jail security as well as ensuring basic requirements for jail inmates, like nutritious diet and proper health care facilities.
Badal approved Rs 1.72 crore for immediate maintenance of various jails across the state.
He also approved to utilise the annual lease money, which the jail department was getting from the Industries department against the chunk of its land in Ludhiana, for the development works in the jails.
To improve food quality in jails, Badal asked the department to review the diet norms system besides putting up a diet chart in jails.
He also approved to constitute a committee comprising IG (jails), representatives of Central jails and Sub-jails besides a dietician from Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER) Chandigarh, to recommended proper nutritious food for jail inmates.
The committee would submit its report in 15 days.
The chief minister directed the Home department to expedite the ongoing selection procedure for appointing 900 wardens by the end of February.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof