Comprehensive master plan for jail reforms in Punjab
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Saturday directed the Jails department to prepare a comprehensive master plan for the overall development of prisons in the state, besides construction of new sub-jails both at divisional and district levels.
The decision was taken by the chief minister during a high-level meeting with the top brass of the Jail and Health departments officials here.
The master plan is to be implemented in next four years in a phased manner, an official spokesman said here.
Badal asked the Jail department to initiate measures to tone up the jail administration, in an effective manner, to avoid any untoward incident in the jails.
The veteran Akali leader said in order to meet new challenges, the jail administration requires immediate reforms in terms of jail security as well as ensuring basic requirements for jail inmates, like nutritious diet and proper health care facilities.
Badal approved Rs 1.72 crore for immediate maintenance of various jails across the state.
He also approved to utilise the annual lease money, which the jail department was getting from the Industries department against the chunk of its land in Ludhiana, for the development works in the jails.
To improve food quality in jails, Badal asked the department to review the diet norms system besides putting up a diet chart in jails.
He also approved to constitute a committee comprising IG (jails), representatives of Central jails and Sub-jails besides a dietician from Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER) Chandigarh, to recommended proper nutritious food for jail inmates.
The committee would submit its report in 15 days.
The chief minister directed the Home department to expedite the ongoing selection procedure for appointing 900 wardens by the end of February.
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched
- Kerala CM Chandy files defamation case against Achuthanandan
- Earthquake rocks southwest France, no casualties reported
- West Bengal polls fifth phase to decide fate of four Narada 'stung' Trinamool biggies
- Campaigning ends for Bengal polls fifth phase
- Turkish scribes get two years jail for publishing Prophet cartoon