Cong asks Punjab govt to slash VAT on petrol
Chandigarh: The state unit of Congress on Saturday asked the Punjab government to slash VAT on petrol as it did in case of Aviation Turbine Fuel, bringing it down from
22 to 4 percent.
The Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee also took a dig at
Amritsar BJP MP Navjot Singh Sidhu, saying he was "so excited
about the relief to airlines" that he forgot that the common
man continued to be burdened with the extra VAT on petrol in
In a statement, senior Congress leaders sought to remind
the government that while slashing the VAT on aviation fuel
may benefit a few airline companies, reducing the VAT on
petrol, which is at 11 per cent in Punjab- the highest in the
country, could provide relief to the public at large.
The Congress leaders said that they were "surprised" that
the Akali-BJP government showed so much concern over providing
relief to airlines but lacked the same kind of commitment
towards the common man`s cause.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...