Cong MLA`s stray dogs remark creates storm
New Delhi: An umbrella body of animal rights organisation today condemned and termed as "irresponsible and derogatory" the remarks of a Punjab Congress MLA that stray dogs be sent to North-East for "whatever they do to them" as a way to tackle the growing menace of these canines.
In a letter to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, the Federation of Indian Animal Protection Organisations (FIAPO) said they were "appalled to hear" such an "irresponsible, inhumane and derogatory" statement by a member of Congress and sought action against him.
MLA Ajit Singh Mofar had moved a resolution in the Punjab Assembly on June 28, seeking to tackle stray dogs menace in the state by sending them to China, Nagaland and Mizoram for "whatever they do to them".
"We can make arrangements to catch such dogs, put them in jungle or zoos. Maybe we can then send them to Nagaland, Mizoram and China where they are more needed," he had said in a veiled reference to the practice in some communities in Northeastern states where dogs are killed for their meat.
FIAPO campaign coordinator Alokparna Sengupta said Mofar`s statement is "not acceptable at all".
"We request you to kindly take necessary steps to reprimand such behaviour and also take precautions so as to prevent such future irresponsible statements by any Member of Parliament or political party," FIAPO Chief Executive Officer Arpan Sharma said in the letter.
It is important that the common man follow `Ahimsa (non violence)` teachings and "not cruel and inhumane suggestions by irresponsible politicians", the letter said.
Mofar`s remarks had also been condemned by animal rights activists, including BJP leader Maneka Gandhi, who said it was "derogatory" to the people of North-East.
The Congress too ticked off Mofar saying he is an avid skater and it would be better if he sticks to it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!