Cong MLA`s stray dogs remark creates storm
New Delhi: An umbrella body of animal rights organisation today condemned and termed as "irresponsible and derogatory" the remarks of a Punjab Congress MLA that stray dogs be sent to North-East for "whatever they do to them" as a way to tackle the growing menace of these canines.
In a letter to Congress chief Sonia Gandhi, the Federation of Indian Animal Protection Organisations (FIAPO) said they were "appalled to hear" such an "irresponsible, inhumane and derogatory" statement by a member of Congress and sought action against him.
MLA Ajit Singh Mofar had moved a resolution in the Punjab Assembly on June 28, seeking to tackle stray dogs menace in the state by sending them to China, Nagaland and Mizoram for "whatever they do to them".
"We can make arrangements to catch such dogs, put them in jungle or zoos. Maybe we can then send them to Nagaland, Mizoram and China where they are more needed," he had said in a veiled reference to the practice in some communities in Northeastern states where dogs are killed for their meat.
FIAPO campaign coordinator Alokparna Sengupta said Mofar`s statement is "not acceptable at all".
"We request you to kindly take necessary steps to reprimand such behaviour and also take precautions so as to prevent such future irresponsible statements by any Member of Parliament or political party," FIAPO Chief Executive Officer Arpan Sharma said in the letter.
It is important that the common man follow `Ahimsa (non violence)` teachings and "not cruel and inhumane suggestions by irresponsible politicians", the letter said.
Mofar`s remarks had also been condemned by animal rights activists, including BJP leader Maneka Gandhi, who said it was "derogatory" to the people of North-East.
The Congress too ticked off Mofar saying he is an avid skater and it would be better if he sticks to it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video