Cong politicising Akal Takht honouring kin of Indira`s killers: SAD
Chandigarh: Ruling Shiromani Akali Dal Monday accused main opposition Congress of trying to politicise the issue of honouring the kin of Indira Gandhi`s assassins by the head of Sikh community`s highest temporal seat the Akal Takht.
Satwant Singh and Kehar Singh, the two killers of the former Prime Minister, were honoured on their 24th death anniversary amid presence of a local Akali leader.
"First of all, the issue (honouring the kin) does not fall in the domain of SAD or the state government. But, let me say that Congress is trying to politicise the issue for their vested interests as has been their habit," SAD leader and party spokesman Daljit Cheema said here.
Reacting to senior State Congress leader Sunil Jakhar`s assertion that honouring of the kin may threaten the hard-earned peace in Punjab, Cheema said, "I said it is the habit of Congress people to make issues out of non-issues.
"There is no threat to Punjab`s peace. During SAD-BJP rule, communal harmony has been maintained," he said.
Jathedar Gaini Gurbachan Singh had yesterday presented a `siropa` (robe of honour) to Tirlok Singh, father of Satwant Singh at a function organised by SGPC. The `Jathedar` also accorded them the status of `martyrs of faith`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Vivek Oberoi to be trained by Daniel Craig's trainer
- Viral Video: Cheating man finds both girlfriends at same place, EXPOSED – See what happened next
- Xiaomi's smartphones sales in India up 72%
- Arun Jaitley may not read out new trains, lines after budget merger
- RBI launches Sept round of inflation expectation survey