Cong seeks Guv help to improve Punjab`s poor fiscal health
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress today appealed to Governor Shivraj Patil to initiate an inquiry into the state`s "burgeoning" debt and direct the SAD-BJP government to observe "fiscal propriety" in the wake of "poor" fiscal health.
In a letter written to the Governor, CLP leader Sunil Jakhar pointed out that Punjab had been facing "deteriorating" fiscal condition under the SAD-BJP regime.
As per mandate of the Punjab Revenue Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management Bill, he said, the revenue deficit as percentage of gross state domestic product (GSDP) in the year 2012-13 should be below 1.2 percent.
"But in gross violation of norms, the revenue deficit has reached 1.61 percent of the GSDP. Last year too, these limits relating to revenue as well as fiscal deficits were violated, which had resulted in the state not being able to avail grant worth nearly Rs 500 crore from the Central government," he said.
Jakhar also accused the SAD-BJP government of pursuing wrong economic policies which led to the state facing accumulated loans of Rs 38,019 crore.
"In the same period, the public sector has accumulated a debt of Rs 69,270 crore which has been guaranteed by the state government. By the end of 2013-14, aggregate debt burden of Punjab will be Rs 1.90 lakh crore," he wrote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!