Cong seeks Guv help to improve Punjab`s poor fiscal health
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress today appealed to Governor Shivraj Patil to initiate an inquiry into the state`s "burgeoning" debt and direct the SAD-BJP government to observe "fiscal propriety" in the wake of "poor" fiscal health.
In a letter written to the Governor, CLP leader Sunil Jakhar pointed out that Punjab had been facing "deteriorating" fiscal condition under the SAD-BJP regime.
As per mandate of the Punjab Revenue Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management Bill, he said, the revenue deficit as percentage of gross state domestic product (GSDP) in the year 2012-13 should be below 1.2 percent.
"But in gross violation of norms, the revenue deficit has reached 1.61 percent of the GSDP. Last year too, these limits relating to revenue as well as fiscal deficits were violated, which had resulted in the state not being able to avail grant worth nearly Rs 500 crore from the Central government," he said.
Jakhar also accused the SAD-BJP government of pursuing wrong economic policies which led to the state facing accumulated loans of Rs 38,019 crore.
"In the same period, the public sector has accumulated a debt of Rs 69,270 crore which has been guaranteed by the state government. By the end of 2013-14, aggregate debt burden of Punjab will be Rs 1.90 lakh crore," he wrote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail