Cong seeks Guv help to improve Punjab`s poor fiscal health
Chandigarh: Punjab Congress today appealed to Governor Shivraj Patil to initiate an inquiry into the state`s "burgeoning" debt and direct the SAD-BJP government to observe "fiscal propriety" in the wake of "poor" fiscal health.
In a letter written to the Governor, CLP leader Sunil Jakhar pointed out that Punjab had been facing "deteriorating" fiscal condition under the SAD-BJP regime.
As per mandate of the Punjab Revenue Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management Bill, he said, the revenue deficit as percentage of gross state domestic product (GSDP) in the year 2012-13 should be below 1.2 percent.
"But in gross violation of norms, the revenue deficit has reached 1.61 percent of the GSDP. Last year too, these limits relating to revenue as well as fiscal deficits were violated, which had resulted in the state not being able to avail grant worth nearly Rs 500 crore from the Central government," he said.
Jakhar also accused the SAD-BJP government of pursuing wrong economic policies which led to the state facing accumulated loans of Rs 38,019 crore.
"In the same period, the public sector has accumulated a debt of Rs 69,270 crore which has been guaranteed by the state government. By the end of 2013-14, aggregate debt burden of Punjab will be Rs 1.90 lakh crore," he wrote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in