Cong sharpens attack on SAD over drug racket issue
Chandigarh: Congress on Wednesday sharpened its attack on Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) calling it a "safe sanctuary" for criminals.
Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee (PPCC) chief Partap Singh Bajwa took a swipe at Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, alleging that his family harbours criminals to further their political interests.
In a statement issued here, Bajwa claimed that every time an Akali leader is caught for involvement in a criminal activity, Badal comes out with excuses, they either disown the party member or take the stand that the member have been expelled sometime back for anti-party activities.
The Congress leader claimed that there was long list of active members of SAD or Youth Akali Dal who were caught on the wrong foot and later disowned and it may not be coincidence that majority of them were close confidants of Revenue Minister Bikram Singh Majithia.
Bajwa said that drug smuggler Maninder Singh Aulakh, who was arrested by Patiala police in synthetic drug racket, is not an ordinary member of Akali Dal.
He was protege of Majithia and many other Akali leaders of Majha area, Bajwa claimed.
The Congress leader said that Badal could not deny their patronage to Aulakh after his pictures with Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal and three other ministers had appeared in a section of media recently.
Bajwa alleged that the police was working under political pressure and many cases of highhandedness by Akali workers were not registered.
He also sought CBI probe or Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) investigation into the international drug racket alleging involvement of senior SAD leaders in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!