Cong slams ‘jungle raj’ in Punjab, demands clean polls
Chandigarh: Expressing concern over "absolute lawlessness" allegedly prevailing in Punjab, Congress on Tuesday urged the election commission here to ensure that upcoming local bodies elections are held in a free and fair manner.
"The polls being held, are a total mockery of democracy. The government is trying to fudge the election process by making it totally farcical (exercise)," stated a memorandum submitted by Punjab Congress leaders to the state election commissioner.
Congress members, including those belonging to its legal cell, were led by their state party chief Partap Singh Bajwa.
The memorandum demanded immediate intervention of the commission to create "an atmosphere for (holding) free and fair elections in Punjab."
Zilla parishad and block samiti elections are to be held in Punjab on May 19.
The memorandum called for deployment of paramilitary forces at all polling stations and also demanded that voting process at each polling station as well as counting of votes be video-recorded.
Congress leaders also demanded that district magistrates across Punjab must ensure that firearms held by people within their jurisdiction, particularly those belonging to SAD-BJP supporters, are deposited with them before the polls.
Congress leaders had yesterday submitted a similar memorandum to Punjab Governor Shivraj Patil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official