Cong slams ‘jungle raj’ in Punjab, demands clean polls
Chandigarh: Expressing concern over "absolute lawlessness" allegedly prevailing in Punjab, Congress on Tuesday urged the election commission here to ensure that upcoming local bodies elections are held in a free and fair manner.
"The polls being held, are a total mockery of democracy. The government is trying to fudge the election process by making it totally farcical (exercise)," stated a memorandum submitted by Punjab Congress leaders to the state election commissioner.
Congress members, including those belonging to its legal cell, were led by their state party chief Partap Singh Bajwa.
The memorandum demanded immediate intervention of the commission to create "an atmosphere for (holding) free and fair elections in Punjab."
Zilla parishad and block samiti elections are to be held in Punjab on May 19.
The memorandum called for deployment of paramilitary forces at all polling stations and also demanded that voting process at each polling station as well as counting of votes be video-recorded.
Congress leaders also demanded that district magistrates across Punjab must ensure that firearms held by people within their jurisdiction, particularly those belonging to SAD-BJP supporters, are deposited with them before the polls.
Congress leaders had yesterday submitted a similar memorandum to Punjab Governor Shivraj Patil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes