Cong writes to EC over misuse of power by SAD govt in Punjab
New Delhi: Charging Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) with misusing Punjab government guesthouses in the city for poll purposes, Congress Thursday petitioned Election Commission to deploy special surveillance teams at Punjab Bhawan and Kapurthala House here to check such activities.
In a complaint to Chief Election Commissioner VS Sampath, AICC Secretary (Legal and Human Rights department), KC Mittal, has alleged that SAD ministers have come from Punjab to Delhi and are freely moving around in the Assembly constituencies in the city.
Mittal alleged that Punjab Bhawan, Kapurthala House and other Punjab government property in Delhi was being used by SAD leaders for electoral purposes.
SAD leaders were not only staying at these facilities with fictitious names, they were also using these locations for "all kinds of illegal activities".
"It is therefore requested that special surveillance teams be deputed at Punjab Bhawan and Kapurthala House and the activities of Akali Dal ministers and Punjab police personnel be monitored," Mittal said.
A Congress delegation led by AICC general secretary Shakeel Ahmed had on November 26 alleged to the CEC that Punjab police personnel were intimidating people in Delhi to cast their votes in favour of SAD candidates.
Other complaints have also been filed with EC regarding alleged misuse of Punjab government property in Delhi by Akali workers and the violation of the Model Code of Conduct.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!