Congress accuses Akali Dal of doublespeak on Bhullar
Chandigarh: The Congress party in Punjab Sunday termed the ruling Shiromani Akali Dal`s appeal for clemency to Devinder Pal Singh Bhullar "a farce", and accused it of shedding "crocodile tears" for the 1993 Delhi bomb blast convict.
"Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and Akali Dal president Sukhbir Badal should clearly spell out their stand on the issue and also the contradictory approaches they have been adopting so far," Congress leader Sukhpal Singh Khaira said.
"The demand for clemency to Bhullar by the Akali Dal is nothing but a farce, shedding crocodile tears and extreme double standards in politics," Khaira said in a statement.
The core committee of Akali Dal had Saturday described as "deeply painful, unfortunate and worrying" the rejection by the Supreme Court of Bhullar`s petition for commuting his death sentence to life imprisonment.
An Akali Dal spokesperson had said the chief minister and the party chief would meet the president, the prime minister and union home minister to urge them "to operationalise the post-judicial mechanism of statesmanship in order to avoid even at this stage any steps that may pose a threat to peace and communal harmony in the country in general and Punjab in particular."
Khaira, however, claimed that while defending Director General of Police (DGP) Sumedh Singh Saini in a case in the Supreme Court in 2009, the Badal government had submitted an affidavit: "Such hardcore and experienced criminals (Bhullar), who have a well-organised international support base...is a matter of concern."
The case pertained to the disappearance of Bhullar`s father, uncle and another youth in 1991 following an attack on Saini with a car bomb in Chandigarh.
Khaira said the Badal government had hand-picked Saini as Punjab DGP last year, superseding five senior IPS officers. He added the government had been defending Saini in various cases despite his controversial past record in the elimination of youth in Punjab.
Khaira also questioned the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee (SGPC) president Avtar Singh Makkar for not confronting the government on the affidavit filed against Bhullar in the apex court.
"I am amused and surprised how the pleas of Akali Dal, SGPC and others will have any impact when the Badal government has taken such a stand against Bhullar in the Supreme Court," Khaira pointed out.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly