Congress backs separate SGPC for Haryana
New Delhi: The Congress central leadership on Saturday came out in full support of Haryana in its face-off with the Centre on the creation of a separate SGPC, accusing the Narendra Modi government of encroaching on the autonomy of states.
"I am surprised by the response of government of India headed by BJP, which was highlighting importance of autonomy of states and infringement on their powers, is today trying to encroach upon the legitimate autnomy of the states", party General Secretary Shakeel Ahmed told.
Ahmed wondered when there was a separate Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee in Delhi as also in Punjab and Himachal Pradesh, then why should Sikhs in Haryana cannot manage the affairs of gurdwaras in Haryana.
The Congress General Secretary`s remarks came on a day when the party-ruled Haryana refused to accept the Centre`s directive to take back the concerned bill and asked the Home Ministry to "forthwith withdraw" its letter in this regard as well as direct Punjab not to interfere in its affairs.
In its reply to the Home Ministry, Haryana termed the letter written to it yesterday as "an affront to the federal structure and Parliamentary democracy of India" and one which "is an insult of 2.5 crore Haryanvis and their elected legislators".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok