Congress continues relay hunger protest over drug case probe
Chandigarh: Congress leaders and workers in Punjab continued with their indefinite relay hunger strike at the party headquarters here on Thursday, demanding a CBI probe into the multi-crore drug racket, and filling of case against and dismissal of Revenue Minister Bikram Singh Majithia.
The protest entered its fifth day today and was led by former state Congress chief Hanspal. Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee (PPCC) general secretary Fateh Jang Bajwa, MLA from Dera Baba segment Sukjinder Randhawa and others also joined.
The protesters lambasted Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, his Deputy Sukhbir Singh Badal for allegedly shielding Majithia whose "involvement" in the drug trade had recently been exposed by racket kingpin Jagdish Singh Bhola.
"Punjab Police, which is investigating the case, have the reputation of being stooge of Akali leaders," they alleged.
Police under "political influence" of the Badals are "adopting double standards". While arresting other accused named by Bhola and his aides, and they were "offering escape route" to Majithia, the Congress leaders alleged.
The Congress is pledge bound to lead the probe to its logical conclusion, and make sure that persons responsible for ruining the lives of youths in Punjab meet their logical end, they protesters said.
Badal had rejected the Congress`s demand for a CBI probe into the drug case, claiming that Punjab Police is competent enough to handle the mater.
Congress leader and former chief minister Amarinder Singh too had opposed a CBI inquiry into the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical