Congress demands police case against Punjab minister
Chandigarh: The Punjab Congress Wednesday demanded registration of a police case against state cabinet minister and senior BJP leader Anil Joshi and his family members for allegedly committing forgery and having dual votes at two places.
In a statement issued Wednesday, state Congress vice president O.P. Soni and other leaders said the Election Commission had asked the Amritsar election returning officer to file a criminal case against Joshi and his family members, but the Amritsar deputy commissioner opted to file a complaint in the court of chief judicial magistrate.
"It was an attempt to save the accused minister. An offence under Section 31 of Representation of People Act is non-cognizable offence and would require immediate arrest of the accused people.
Police should do custodial interrogation," the Congress leaders said.
"Joshi fabricated documents to enrol at two places and he should also be booked for cheating and conspiracy. The deputy commissioners of Amritsar and Tarn Taran should also be booked for destroying evidence. The deputy commissioners, who are also the election returning officers, had given the report to the Election Commission that documents submitted by Joshi were not traceable," the statement said.
The Congress leaders also accused Punjab`s Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) V.K. Singh of "soft peddling" the issue.
"He should issue specific orders to register FIR in the police station. The judicial process would be long and accused being influential person might influence the witnesses. The complainants against Joshi are already getting threats from BJP leaders," they said.
The leaders demanded the dismissal of Joshi from the Punjuab government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared