Congress has conceded defeat before polls: Sukhbir
Gurdaspur: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Thursday said Congress has conceded defeat in the Lok Sabha elections with PCC chief Amarinder Singh saying that Congress high command should not expect too many seats from the state.
Badal said the leakage of the "survey report" that Congress is set to lose 11 out 13 Lok Sabha seats was a tactical move by Singh to convey the message to Congress High Command that it should not expect too many seats from Punjab so that he could escape the aftermath of a debacle.
Addressing a gathering at the Baba Bhurewala Sports and Cultural Fair here, he said he was slightly in disagreement with the "Congress survey" as according to his own estimates Congress is set to lose all the Lok Sabha 13 seats in Punjab.
Rubbishing Congress leader Rajinder Kaur Bhattal`s recent statement regarding possibility of a mid-term poll in the state, Badal said that at present Congress leadership in Punjab has understood the fact that Congress would not return to power in Punjab during their lifetime and by making such statements they are just trying to raise the morale of party workers.
Later he told mediapersons that the state government was committed to checking the menace of drug trafficking and pointed out that out of the total drug recoveries in the country 70 per cent was being made by Punjab Police.
He said that Punjab being a border state was bearing the brunt of international drug trafficking.
Badal slammed the UPA government for raising prices of petrol, diesel and LPG and said all decisions of the UPA Government were focused on filling the coffers of MNCs.
He also said that Shiromani Akali Dal would continue to struggle till Chandigarh was transferred to Punjab and Punjab was restored its water rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing