Congress has conceded defeat before polls: Sukhbir
Gurdaspur: Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal on Thursday said Congress has conceded defeat in the Lok Sabha elections with PCC chief Amarinder Singh saying that Congress high command should not expect too many seats from the state.
Badal said the leakage of the "survey report" that Congress is set to lose 11 out 13 Lok Sabha seats was a tactical move by Singh to convey the message to Congress High Command that it should not expect too many seats from Punjab so that he could escape the aftermath of a debacle.
Addressing a gathering at the Baba Bhurewala Sports and Cultural Fair here, he said he was slightly in disagreement with the "Congress survey" as according to his own estimates Congress is set to lose all the Lok Sabha 13 seats in Punjab.
Rubbishing Congress leader Rajinder Kaur Bhattal`s recent statement regarding possibility of a mid-term poll in the state, Badal said that at present Congress leadership in Punjab has understood the fact that Congress would not return to power in Punjab during their lifetime and by making such statements they are just trying to raise the morale of party workers.
Later he told mediapersons that the state government was committed to checking the menace of drug trafficking and pointed out that out of the total drug recoveries in the country 70 per cent was being made by Punjab Police.
He said that Punjab being a border state was bearing the brunt of international drug trafficking.
Badal slammed the UPA government for raising prices of petrol, diesel and LPG and said all decisions of the UPA Government were focused on filling the coffers of MNCs.
He also said that Shiromani Akali Dal would continue to struggle till Chandigarh was transferred to Punjab and Punjab was restored its water rights.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth