Congress leader joins SAD
Chandigarh: In a jolt to the Congress in Punjab, senior leader Deepinder Singh Dhillon joined the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) along with his supporters here on Thursday.
Dhillon was included in SAD in the presence of SAD Patron and Punjab Chief Minister Sardar Parkash Singh Badal, SAD President and Deputy Chief Minister Sardar Sukhbir Singh Badal and President of Youth Akali Dal and Cabinet Minister Sardar Bikram Singh Majithia.
Welcoming him into the party fold, Badal said that today was a red letter day for the SAD as a committed public leader like Dhillon had joined the party.
He said that with the joining of Deepinder, the SAD would get a fresh vigour and its base would be further strengthened in the state.
Training his guns on the Congress, Badal said that it has always worked on the policy of "Divide and Rule" to capture power in the state whereas the SAD had remained a votary of communal harmony and peace due to which people were reposing their unflinching faith in it.
Recalling the age old ties of Dhillon`s family with the Akali Dal, the Chief Minister said that his father had served as Attorney General during the government headed by Justice Gurnam Singh due to which they had cordial relations with each other.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company
- Some 6,500 migrants rescued off Libya: Coastguard
- Mitsubishi Motors overstated fuel economy on eight more models - Nikkei