Congress replaces Amarinder as Punjab unit chief
New Delhi: Congress on Tuesday removed Amarinder Singh as its Punjab unit chief in the backdrop of the party`s dismal show in Assembly elections last year and appointed MP Pratap Singh Bajwa in his place.
Rajasthan MP Harish Chaudhary has been made the AICC secretary and will be the party in-charge of Punjab.
Chaudhary will be attached as the in-charge of Punjab and look after party affairs in the state, a release quoted AICC general secretary Janardan Dwivedi as saying.
Gulchain Singh Charak is the AICC general secretary in-charge for Punjab.
The talk of a change in Punjab unit of Congress has been going for more than an year ever since the party`s defeat at the hands of the SAD-BJP alliance in the Assembly elections in January last year, where the ruling coalition created history by coming back to power.
The recent Moga bye-poll loss seems to have precipitated the change. Congress lost to the Akalis in the bye-poll after its MLA quit the party and re-contested as SAD candidate.
Amarinder Singh has been under attack within the party for his style of functioning. Demands for replacing him were made by various sections in the party.
Bajwa is relatively younger to Amarinder Singh and a first time MP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest