Congress wins Chandigarh Mayoral election
Chandigarh: The Congress won the Chandigarh mayoral election that was held on Sunday.
The party won all three posts of mayor, senior deputy mayor and deputy mayor for which the polls were held.
Rajbala Malik was elected the mayor, Darshan Kumar Garg was elected senior deputy mayor and Satish Kainth was elected deputy Mayor.
All three are first time councillors.
Malik, who was elected from Ward No. 1 of the city last month in the city`s municipal corporation elections, got 21 votes in the 36-member municipal corporation. She defeated Asha Jaswal of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Jaswal secured 12 votes. Malik will hold the post for one year.
Union parliamentary affairs minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, who is the Chandigarh MP, was present during the voting on Sunday and also cast his vote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group launches 'Asha 2022' affordable housing scheme
- Soldier buried under avalanche found alive at Siachen glacier
- PM Modi praises Ekal Vidyalaya Foundation, deems mission successful
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Panel discussion on detention of goat for grazing in bureaucrat's garden
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Say goodbye to your acidity woes with these ten simple tips!
- India prays for Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa; PM, Army Chief visit hospital