Congress wins Chandigarh Mayoral election
Chandigarh: The Congress won the Chandigarh mayoral election that was held on Sunday.
The party won all three posts of mayor, senior deputy mayor and deputy mayor for which the polls were held.
Rajbala Malik was elected the mayor, Darshan Kumar Garg was elected senior deputy mayor and Satish Kainth was elected deputy Mayor.
All three are first time councillors.
Malik, who was elected from Ward No. 1 of the city last month in the city`s municipal corporation elections, got 21 votes in the 36-member municipal corporation. She defeated Asha Jaswal of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Jaswal secured 12 votes. Malik will hold the post for one year.
Union parliamentary affairs minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, who is the Chandigarh MP, was present during the voting on Sunday and also cast his vote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’