Congress wins Chandigarh Mayoral election
Chandigarh: The Congress won the Chandigarh mayoral election that was held on Sunday.
The party won all three posts of mayor, senior deputy mayor and deputy mayor for which the polls were held.
Rajbala Malik was elected the mayor, Darshan Kumar Garg was elected senior deputy mayor and Satish Kainth was elected deputy Mayor.
All three are first time councillors.
Malik, who was elected from Ward No. 1 of the city last month in the city`s municipal corporation elections, got 21 votes in the 36-member municipal corporation. She defeated Asha Jaswal of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). Jaswal secured 12 votes. Malik will hold the post for one year.
Union parliamentary affairs minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, who is the Chandigarh MP, was present during the voting on Sunday and also cast his vote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Jammu temple desecration: PSA detention of accused revoked
- Actresses have an opinion on economic policy: Soha Ali Khan slams trolls
- 130-year-old Congress pushed on backfoot by younger BJP: Patel
- Obama briefed after Britain votes to leave EU
- Goa CM Parsekar says he paid 'bribe' for land document 38 years back