Contract teachers block national highway in Chandigarh
Chandigarh: Over 1,000 contractual teachers have blocked the national highway in Kharar here for nearly a day demanding regularisation of their jobs, giving commuters in the region a harrowing time.
The teachers have blocked the NH 21 highway since 2:30 PM yesterday, causing massive traffic snarls at Chandigarh-Kharar Highway, police officials said today.
Despite efforts by Mohali district administration officials, the protesting teachers have refused to lift the blockade, demanding a meeting with Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, official sources said.
"We are demanding that the state government should regularise 7,000 contractual teachers working across Punjab," Ajmer Aulakh, president of Education Providers Union Punjab whose members have been protesting, said.
"We are also demanding a meeting with Punjab CM Parkash Singh Badal to inform him about our demands," he said.
The traffic coming from Chandigarh has been re-routed via Landran and commuters coming from Ludhiana have been diverted towards Kurali-Mullanpur to Chandigarh, the sources said.
A large number of trucks laden with industrial goods got stuck in the blockade near the Balongi ICC barrier, they said.
Deputy Commissioner of Mohali TPS Sidhu said, "ADC Parveen Thind has been assigned the job of holding talks with agitating teachers to resolve the issue. We are fully aware of the problems being faced by commuters."
"We will now give them the last chance to lift the blockade otherwise, mild force could be used by the police to disperse them," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch