Cop, six others get 7-yr jail term for dacoity, blackmailing
Faridkot: A local court has
sentenced a head constable and six other persons, mostly from
electronic media, to seven years rigorous imprisonment for
dacoity and blackmailing.
The court also slapped a fine of Rs 22,000 on each of
A case under various sections of IPC and Prevention of
Corruption Act was registered against the accused in October
2008 on the complaint of Binder Singh.
Singh alleged that the accused intercepted his oil
tanker near Ramean village, made video clippings of the tanker
and snatched Rs 1.4 lakh from him.
The accused also threatened to telecast the video in a
report on oil adulteration and demanded Rs five lakh from him.
The accused were identified as Sarup Singh, head
constable at Jaitu police station in the district, Gurmit
Singh, Sukhjit Singh, Harinder Singh, Parminder Singh, Partap
Singh and Satish Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA